Saturday, September 26, 2009

Soup of the Day


I decided on Tuesday that I wanted to finally try making chicken gnocchi. So I called up the OSF, ran my list of needed ingredients by him, and headed to Vons to pick up fresh veggies.


First step: Cook the chicken and garlic.



Second step: Shred the heck out of the carrot, celery, and spinach.





Third step: Get the boyfriend to chop the onion.




Step Four: Mix flour with chicken, then add milk and half and half.



Step Five: Throw in all the veggies and stir, stir, stir!











Step5: Finished! Ladle that soup into bowls and feed your hungry boyfriend!





I had hoped this would taste like Olive Garden's chicken gnocchi, since the specific recipe I was using swore it was the same, but it really didn't have the same feel to it. It was still good though, for my very first homemade soup. Chris loved it, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't just kissing up because it was the first meal I'd made all on my own (with the exception of the onion, of course), because after his first bite his eyes got really wide and he said, "Babe! This is really good!" Another bite. "Babe! I can't believe how good this is!" Third bite. "Babe. It's really, really good." Fourth bite. "Babe! This is way better than Olive Garden's!" (Heresy!) So, since I've never heard him call me 'babe' four times in under twenty seconds, and he went back for a second bowl full, I think he did in fact like it. :)

Woo-hoo! I can make soup!




2 comments:

justinpaulgibson said...

It bears repeating: It's not gnocchi soup without the Italian dumplings.

thesmallblondeone said...

But I don't like the gnocchi in the soup! I just like the broth part! And despite what Chris says, chicken gnocchi without the gnocchi is NOT just chicken soup. It's so much better than that!