Sunday, August 31, 2008

Just a Broadway Baby

Man, I love theater. Especially musicals. Especially Broadway musicals. Especially when those Broadways musicals come to San Diego, so I don't have to fly to New York.

Ryan and I went to the last showing of the Broadway National Tour for Spring Awakening. We're both in love with the soundtrack, and I'd watched most of the youtube videos (that is how I normally get my dose of Broadway - gotta love those kids who sneak their camera in and upload for the rest of us to share the experience), so when Ryan told me the national tour was kicking off in San Diego, I was so there.

Of course, Spring Awakening is a bit scandalous. So we made sure we got a pic of our scandalized faces outside at one of the posters. I think the security guard was amused with us, but really, there's got to be tons of people who've done this pose:

It really is a brilliant musical, despite the few, ahem, unnecessary scenes that up the awkward level way past anything else. But surprisingly, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be in real life. And for the most part, the actors and actresses kept in line with the way it was originally done in New York. Except for the second to last song, which cannot even compare to the original. It was like they forgot all about effects to add to the emotional tension of the number.

Since it was my first real Broadway experience (may have been Ryan's, too... Ryan?), I wanted to see if the actors were going to come out and sign autographs and take pictures like they do in New York Broadway, so Ryan and I went looking for the stage door. We took a break to take that above picture, but wonder of wonders, the amused security guard just so happened to be setting up the barrier right there for the actors to come out and mingle. So we ended up right on the line on accident.

Here's some pics of the whole posse of actors:

The girl in the bottom left of this pic is the female lead of Wendla, Christy Altomare. The boy in the white shirt further back is one of the male leads, Melchior, Kyle Riabko.


This girl right here was on Canadian Idol a few seasons ago. She got fourth place, and Ryan and I joked that it was like seeing Jason Castro on stage.

Here's Ryan with Gabrielle Garza, who plays Anna.


And me with Blake Bashoff, the other male lead, Moritz.

I don't know if by adding this video code it will show the actual video or a link or what, but here's a link/video/surprise of the last song of the musical. Sooooo good. (Ryan, this is where I watched Those You've Known- watch it and tell me which you think is better, today's or the original.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guess I was so tired that I fell asleep at 6pm and woke up at 1am. And I thought "now what am I gonna do?" - watch Spring Awakening related clips!

I got home and realized that you got a picture with "Carl" from "Lost"! But I think you don't watch that show, so that's kind of a moo issue.

The video you linked did seem more gripping than what we saw, and the vocals (to me) sounded stronger. Wish I had watched these videos sooner!

thesmallblondeone said...

I totally took a nap when I got home too- theater going takes it out of you, I guess.

Did you watch Those You've Known? Cuz my link was for Purple Summer. But I agree on all the songs the vocals sounded stronger. Might be because those videos were from good seats and we were in the nosebleed section with the sound people who sang along.

Anonymous said...

Ypu, watched "Those You've Known" - took me awhile last night/morning to realize that what was linked wasn't what was intended. Dang it, it's hard to listen to the soundtrack now since the live versions sound so much richer and every little crack in their voices adds a great deal.

I did love Groff's acting choices, especially when he realizes Wendla died and he loses it, and then when he first hears her voice and freezes. So much more moving! But that could also be in part that we could see their faces in the video. And it did seem that Moritz and Wendla came outta nowehre, but I think that may have been just the video/distance.

Totally thought Hanschen was a natural blonde. Haha. And "Those You've Known" and "All That's Known" are my faves at the moment. Especially as I can sing along without thinking I need to censor myself around the house.

thesmallblondeone said...

No way, they totally come from under the stage somehow. You can especially tell with Wendla- she's walking up stairs, not walking across the stage. My favorites change day to day- currently I'm loving Whispering and Song of Purple Summer. :)