Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Pop Culturally Correct

Man. A lot of people love the Olympics. I've kind of never really gotten into it. I think we watched some of the preliminary swim tournaments a couple months ago. That's about it.

But everyone's been talking about it, and I'm starting to feel a little culturally ignorant. Today the forty-something-year-old guy who works at our copy place was bubbling over with Chinese gymnasts this, American gymnasts that, and I was all, "Um, Germany's not playing in the soccer tournament. That's about the extent of my knowledge on the subject. Oh, and I heard that Phelps guy's doing pretty good."

So, in my attempt to know more things, and since the start of my 24th year marked the start of the 25th summer Olympics, I have set up camp in front of the TV tonight, tuned into NBC (I had to ask my copy guy what channel to check out), and ready to watch me some Olympians.

So far... water polo? Please.

Where are my cute futbol players?

3 comments:

Lady Liberty said...

Jordan, there are more to the Olympics than "hot" athletes. They go back to ancient Greece, it was a symbol of pride for their city-state, a ...... (YAY history major!)

thesmallblondeone said...

Two words: Philip. Lahm.

Brittany Keener said...

soccer is on in the afternoon. China is about 15 hours ahead of us and we are three hours behind being live, so 8pm-1am is 8am-1pm ... then they replay all the after 1pm Olympics the following day all throughout the day. There is actually a soccer channel, check the 60s or 70s. There are like 15 Olympic channels...

okay, so I on the other hand watch the Olympics ALL DAY. lol.