Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Day one in the real world

My new (second) job started today, and I can't say I have any complaints so far. The Charter School of San Diego has built itself a nice little school, with its own curriculum, attendance, and overall school system. I'm told Mondays, at least in the mornings, are a bit quieter, and today seemed to be no exception. A whole posse of kids showed up around 11:45, but that was just in time for the teachers and TA's to break for lunch.

Not only is there a McDonald's in the same parking lot as the school, but there's a Subway right across the driveway, and a Little Caesar's two doors down. It's really going to be sad how much of my newly earned money will go to 79 cent sodas and $5 hot and readies.

So today was basically a crash course on the general operations of the school, grading papers, tutoring kids, filing, etc. I helped a great kid named Lance work over his algebra 2 review before he tested for the lesson. Yikes. I thought the math would come back faster than it did. Turns out I had to read the lesson on exponential factors and scientific notation before I could really offer poor Lance any worthwhile advice. But! I was able to quick solve a couple problems for him out of the next lesson, so good for me. I spent a good hour or so brushing up on his next lesson so I'll be ready for him tomorrow! I kind of like a working environment that lets me re-learn things from the past... or at least we'll see how long that lasts. :)

After the excitement of a new environment, I was glad to get back to the good ol' CTRG office, where it was just me and InDesign for the rest of the day. I definitely won't be taking the peace and quiet over there for granted anymore.

After a few hours at CTRG and a quick shift at Youth Venture, I was ready to see that cute OSF kid. It's a scruffy day, you see. And would you believe that when I walked in, he greeted me wtih dinner already on a plate? He'd literally slaved over the stove while I was on my way over. I know because when I hugged him he was radiating the heat onto me. After dinner we walked up to Blockbuster to get disc 4 of Jericho and spent the rest of the evening watching contentedly sans laptops. Haven't done that in awhile.

All in all, it was a fairly good first day back in this thing we call life. The reprieve from it was nice, but it's time to get back to business now. Let's hope for an equally good day two.

2 comments:

poloair2303 said...

You go girl! You're going to be great at this and I'm sure everyone loves you already. Look at you though, on day 4 and already have a day off ;) LUCKY!

Ry said...

Hah... Chris, you cannot pull off a "You go girl"...