Tuesday, January 5, 2010

RIP, Kirsten

I just found out that the American Girl company has begun retiring dolls. Who do they think they are, Disney?!

So far, in a one year time span, two of the original three dolls have been locked "in the vault" along with all their accessories. In one year!

Ridiculous.

Can I just tell you, growing up, American Girl was it for me. I had my dolls, I had the books, I got a subscription every year for about seven years running... at Christmastime my grandma would give me the catalogue to go through and circle the things I wanted for the dolls.

I remember peeking under the tree one year, and carefully pulling the tape off one of my presents to see what it was-- and was delighted to find the whole boxed set of Kirsten books. Of course, I was even more delighted when Christmas actually came and I discovered that my mom had been hiding my big present elsewhere (she may have been on to me): the actual Kristen doll. Which I loved. Dearly. A doll might not sound like a big deal, but at $94 each (confirmed on the new americangirl.com; surprisingly inflation is unknown to American Girl), you just didn't get one every Christmas.

And, American Girl? I was sort of hoping on my own little girl someday finding a Kirsten doll under the tree? Yeah. You should feel bad.

In honor of Kirsten's retirement, here are some pictures I found (stole) that encapsulate the joy of the Swedish immigrant doll from 1854.





No comments: