Wednesday, January 6, 2010

What have I gotten myself into?

Um. So I decided to see about becoming a sub for the schools around here. You know, as a way to make a little more money to pay off the student loans I traded in for an education. Ironically.


So the first step is taking the CBEST, which I hear is pretty easy, and seeing how I've been immersed in high school academics for the last five months, I'm pretty refreshed in most of the subjects that will appear on the test. 


(The second step, in case you're wondering, is to pay the city something like $50 to "certify" you. You don't have to do anything for this certification... except hand them $50. Weird, right? Right.) 


So I go to register. And the CBEST site asks me all kinds of questions for their survey of the kind of people who are taking this thing. And I kid you not, this was on page 5:






Reason for Taking a Paper-Based Test
Which reasons best describe why you selected the paper-based test rather than the computer-based test? (Select all that apply.) 





First checkbox answer: Familiarity with paper-and-pencil format










So not joking!


I showed Chris and he bust up laughing. That might be the most funny and simultaneously most ridiculous thing I've read in months.


And luckily for me, I've had experience with the paper-and-pencil format since the age of I'm-old-enough-to-draw. So that would make me, what, two? I just feel so bad for those poor post-grads who haven't been taught the paper-and-pencil method yet. It's got to be rough.

No comments: