Saturday, June 7, 2008

Ignorance is (completely and totally) Bliss

**Disclaimer: This post contains information both disturbing and disgusting. Read at your own risk.)

Yesterday, as I am browsing the shelves of JoAnn's crafts looking for some fun scrapbooky things to give Gwen for her 8th birthday, I get a call from Jenna.

It goes something like this:

Jenna: "Ew! Ew, ew, ew, ew! You won't belive this! This is so disgusting!"

Me: (Calmly sifting through some clearanced stickers) "Is this going to be a gross story?"

Jenna: "Ew! Ew ew ew! You won't believe this!"

Me: "This is going to be a gross story. Do I need to leave the store and find somewhere to sit down?"


(The next part of the dialogue is paraphrased for time's sake.)

Jenna: "We have moths in our cupboards! And it's soooo disgusting! And I don't know how to get rid of them! (Etc., etc.)"

Me: (Very calmly and chuckling softly to myself) "Oh, Jenna."

And THEN I proceeded to go home, look in the cupboard she and Britt share, see the three or so moths fluttering around in there, close the cupboard door, go to my own cupboard, pull out a box of rice-a-roni, fry that stuff up (with some chicken, it's delectable), power up the PC (that's right, I'm a PC and proud of it), and research moth infestations. Surprisingly, reading up on moth babies and testimonies of which poisons worked best for who did not deter from the delectableness of my rice-a-chicken.

After all, it wasn't MY cupboard that was infested.

Flash forward to today. Just for kicks I think to myself, I should look through my own food just to put my mind at ease, right? I did, after all, read yesterday that moths and their evil spawn can bust into even unopened bags and boxes, far away from where they originated. So I browse. Can of beef broth, can of chicken broth, box of cereal, hidden tupperware, and... unopened bag of brown rice....

THAT IS COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY INFESTED! GROSS GROSS GROSS!

So now my cupboards have caught the disease, and I'm really hoping the acids in my stomach are enough to kill anything alive I may have inadvertently consumed in my Rice-a-chicken. Jenna and I now have plans tomorrow to throw out pretty much all of our food and go buy glass or plastic containers to keep opened grains and goods in. And we're kind of scared to go in the kitchen. I don't know what we're expecting... maybe for all those baby bugs to rise up together for an attack the second we step foot onto the tile. I'm not sure.

All I know is that I'm really, really hungry, and our unwelcome houseguests are holding all my beloved food hostage. Jerks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your boxed foods already contain the moth larva...they hatch on their own. Putting pancake mix (have you checked that bag yet?) in a plastic container doesn't seal the problem...just contains the moths. I found this out the hard way by thinking plastic containers were the way to go. I had lots of hosing out containers and disinfecting to do along with my monthly throw outs. Always rinse prepackaged stuff. That way the bugs are less likely to stick. I know that sounds horrible. I have now stayed clear from the boxed foods aisle just for the moth reason. Oh...and bird seed. ICK! Check that bag too! How about flour? That one is really nasty. Good luck Moth Buster!

thesmallblondeone said...

Thanks, random person! We actually threw everything out that could possibly be housing little moth babies, so our pantry has been reduced to little more than canned goods. Pancake mix was one of the first to go, by the way, and thank you for the recommendation and your concern!

Jessica said...

oh i am livid. I just typed out this "how to fix your problem" novel and it got eaten! >:( well... i know the answer and you can call me for it. but get airtight containers... lock&lock is the best brand.

thesmallblondeone said...

We'll be in contact, Jess. Thanks for trying to write me a novel; sorry it got eaten! :(

Jessica said...

It's ok that it got eaten.. I just wanted to help you. :) :D