Monday, July 13, 2009

Boo for being sick

I woke up this morning and my sore throat was worse and had spread to take over my entire right ear. So I kept the promise I'd made myself, that if my mystery illness hadn't improved by today I would take myself over to the East County Urgent Care.

Oh, East County Urgent Care. It's been so long, hasn't it?

ECUC is where my parents took us anytime we were sick enough to necessitate actual medication (not just Dimetapp). It's where I went when I needed my knee stitched up in kindergarten. It's where my dad fainted when they injected a painkiller straight into the bloody gash while I took it like a pro. It's where I went when I burnt two of my fingers on Dad's rotiller when I was six. It's where I went again a few months laterwhen I burned more fingers on a hot bowl of fish sticks. (Man. I was a disaster that year.) It's where I went for the required TB tests for college, and where the school sent everyone with a minor emergency that they didn't want to deal with.

Anyway, so I was there, I waited, got called back, waited some more, got my temperature taken (100.2!), waited some more, got the dreaded strep test (How do you not gag during that test, I ask you?), waited FOREVER more (all the while contemplating just ripping my own ear off and saving myself the co-pay; it seriously felt like my ear drum was going to explode), and finally got to see the doctor. All of this just to be told I have an ulcer on my tonsil.

Now, dear reader, before you freak out like I did, and begin wondering what kind of terrible things I must go through to fix this, let me put your mind at ease: "an ulcer on your tonsil" is apparently the technical term for "you have a very bad sore throat." So no need to let your imagination run wild with all the horrible possibilities. Like a certain patient in Room 2 may have earlier today.

So. When all was said and done, I ended up with a prescription for an antibiotic that should help. It's been up and down for the rest of the day, depending on if I try to eat anything, how long it's been since I popped some Aleeve, and how long I can go before swallowing. Hopefully we'll see some improvement tomorrow, because seriously? I'm so over this being sick thing. And I really want some food without the additional ear drum explosion.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

2 comments:

justinpaulgibson said...

Stupid doctors. They always get the order wrong in which they tell you things. "So the culture results came back today. I'm sorry to say that you have acute deathitis... Just take 2 children's Tylenol and you'll be fine." I've already been sick twice this year, which is also more than my once a year average. I'm fine now, though. No jinxes. Hope you feel better.

thesmallblondeone said...

Your sympathies are appreciated. Maybe it's the weather? The exorbitant amount of pollutants in the air? Maybe I'm developing an allergy? I don't know, but being sick so often really sucks.