Monday, June 22, 2009

The Great McDonald's Coca-Cola Glass Hunt of 2009

Sometimes I'm a sucker for collectibles.

Pogs.

Beanie babies.

Chronicles of Narnia books.

And now Coca-cola glasses.

It started off innocently enough last Friday. I went through the McDonald's by work, noticed the banner about the free glasses with every value meal, and decided I might as well see what these glasses were about. BTW- they're freaking awesome. I already love glass cups and coca-cola, and together they freaking rock!

There, on that Friday afternoon, it became my mission to collect all four. And let's just say that mission has changed day to day in the last week and a half. Here's the play by play.

Original mission: Collect all four colors: Blue, turquoise, purple, and brown.
Friday afternoon: Got a blue glass at Fletcher Parkway.
Saturday afternoon: Convinced the OSF to take me to the Massachusetts MickyD's, since it's next to the In N' Out for him. They tell us they had "aquamarine," which I think, and Crayloa agrees, is more turquoise than blue. And yet, when we opened it up, it was a blue glass. Jerks. And then they tell us all the stores were only selling browns for the last week, and we were out of luck with the other colors. Which just fueled my need to collect the other colors!
Monday afternoon: Got a brown glass at Fletcher Parkway. The guy there told me to try back in the next few days for purple. I think the Massachusetts Mcd's people are liars.
Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon: No dice on the purple glass at Fletcher. But they had only brown, and then only blue on these two days. I'm beginning to think none of the McD's chains were prepped on the structure of this promo.
Wednesday evening: Brittany and I head to Ryan's to watch Wall-E with Ry and Chris. We stopped at the College Ave. store, and they didn't even have any glasses at all. But Brittany later went to the one near Ikea, and found all the colors but turquoise. She picked up purple for me in exchange for one of my blue.
Thursday afternoon: Somehow I get stuck with another blue.
Friday night: Get a call from that cute OSF boy. Turns out he totally took one for the team, and he and his sister stopped at a McD's near Magic Mountain to see what they could find. Two more purple glasses!

Total tally: 2 blue, 3 purple, 1 brown.

Confession: This sort of situation is prime to bring out the OCD in me. I need to have these things in nice numbers. Either one of each, or two of each, or, as it was looking, three of each.

So since the turquoise glasses were nowhere to be found, Mission #2 became to collect three each of the blue, purple, and brown.

But then.

On Saturday night.

Ryan and I decided to initiate the Great McDonald's Coca-Cola Glass Hunt of 2009.

We would not rest until we found the turquoise glasses! We would drive for hours, cranking the Spring Awakening soundtrack as we stopped at each and every restaurant in our search for the holy grail of coke glasses.

Oddly enough, the closest McD's to Ryan's apartment, the one inside the Walmart on Aero Drive, had both turquoise and brown. Go figure. So we took our food and our glasses and went back to the apartment to watch Ella Enchanted and then take a last minute trolley ride downtown to take pictures (but that's a story for another blog).


Oh, at this point, Brittany finds out that you can buy the glasses for $1.99, instead of buying a value meal every time. Errrrr.... My stomach would have been happier finding that out sometime on Tuesday.

Sunday morning: Ryan texts me that the power of suggestion is too powerful for him, and he was already the owner of a brown glass too.
Sunday afternoon: Brittany and I run errands and stop at the Navajo store for a brown glass, 79 cent coke, and no value meal. Take that, McD's!

Tally: 2 blue, 3 purple, 2 brown, 1 turquoise.

Sunday evening: As I explain my OCD plight to Chris and Ryan, Chris suggests I give Ryan one of the purples and collect 1 more turquoise, putting my final tally at 2 each, which is a nice even number that will make it easy for me to sleep at night. Excellent.

Which brings us to today. Monday. No final turquoise glass yet, but I have high hopes for the week. And remember: if you stumble across a MickeyD's giving out turquoise glasses, give me a call!



12 comments:

justinpaulgibson said...

You... have issues.

thesmallblondeone said...

Sadly so.

Jessica said...

W-O-W.

justinpaulgibson said...

What Jessica is saying is that this is a worse addiction than World of Warcraft. And somehow even nerdier.

Brittany Keener said...

hmm, wow.
we use to collect the disney cups from Burger King back in the day.

Jessica said...

That's exactly what i was saying. heh

Anonymous said...

Wow! We were told last week by McD's in Escondido on Felicita that the promo had ended. Silly me - I went to EBay and bought a complete set of 4 (which leaves us with the 4 + the turq. one we got the one and only time we got the value meal. Your way sounds like more of an adventure. Good luck with your quest!

blonde girl said...

i collect coke glasses and do you know wear i could find these glasses

Anonymous said...

Hey, just read this... its just beautiful! although most Mcds (in Michigan) sell all the colors except brown! Some of them sell brown... although..i'm on a mission myself ...to get a set of 4 "violet" and 4 "Turquiose" its actually more of an aqua.... but yeah... im glad you completed your mission! one more on the score bored for us folks with OCD! yeah!

Anonymous said...

I bought 4 of each color for my husband and 2 sets of all 4 one for my nephew and one for my father n law. I was calling around for all of them and was having a hard time finding purple. One McDonalds told me the headquarters office carries them all and you can buy as many as you want! I just went there and got them all. Paid 1.99 each here in Wisconsin. Hubby will be excited to see a set of 14. We love coca cola glasses and these are so bright. Some call the bright blue one turquoise is it? I thought the one that looks more green was turquoise?

Anonymous said...

Sorry my maths off set of 16 lol. Also they are still selling here cause I picked them up today. Hope that helps. If you need some I can forward the number.

thesmallblondeone said...

Thanks, Anonymous! I actually did end up with the final turquoise one, about a week after I wrote this particular blog! Good luck with your own searches!

And yes, I was getting completely confused with the blue/aquamarine green/turquoise thing too. Nobody could decide what color was what!