Friday, March 20, 2009

New Hat

I've rediscovered my childhood love for hats.

Perfect timing, too. Because I read once that writers spark creativity when they have something on their heads. I know, sounds sketchy, right? But writers claim it works. One writer said when she was stuck trying to figure out where to take her story, she would balance a beanie baby on her head, and voila! The pages would practically write themselves.

Fortunately for me, I have around 100 of those bean bag animals stored away under my old bed back home. Just in case it comes to that.

But for now I think I'll stick with the hat.

This tip came to me at Coffeeshop Tuesday this past week. I had grabbed Britt's hat on the way out the door (because it just felt like a hat day), and as I sat in Starbucks, I realized the hat really helped me block out everything else going on around me. Since I could only see what was directly in front of me, I wasn't distracted by all the movement around me. The OSF was even able to sneak up on me, although I didn't tell him that. Don't want him to think I'm easy to sneak up on.

So today, when I went to Target to drop off a prescription, and the accessories section beckoned me closer, I decided to stop by the hats. And wouldn't you know, I found a great little hat on clearance for six bucks. It is now my lucky hat, because I've found that the cheaper clothes come, the better they serve my purposes. (For instance, the Best Jeans Ever that I found for $4 on the clearance rack and lasted me for years and years, until a certain roommate, Britt, borrowed and left in Mexico. Errrrrr....)

Amended: It is my lucky writing hat. I shall wear it whenever I'm working on my 1,000 words a day goal. And it will help me achieve that goal. 

I believe in this hat.

New hat, you and I are in for some fun times.


4 comments:

poloair2303 said...

Nice cap, I believe I already mentioned that I liked it... and now that I know it was only 6 bucks! pff, it's an awesome sensory depravator(sp?).

Did you think that some random guy came to flirt with you?

thesmallblondeone said...

1) I believe your exact words were "How many hats do you own?" but I'll take that as a compliment now, I guess.

2) And, yes, of course; that's what usually happens when I'm at Starbucks. ;)

poloair2303 said...

1) I don't remember or can confirm my "exact words"... though I am sure I was a little more charming than your-my exact words ;)

2) I'm NOT THE FIRST?!?! Damn.

thesmallblondeone said...

Sorry, OSF. That's just how it goes. Especially with my new hat.