Monday, March 16, 2009

No Day But Today

So, I deliberated quite a bit before deciding to go see Rent, but I'm glad I did. Something like that should be experienced at least once in a lifetime. I feel. But really, I mostly went to see Anthony Rapp. And the whole time, I just couldn't disassociate him from Charlie Brown! (Because he was an amazing Charlie Brown.)

Anyway, I was a little more impressed with the actual stage production than the movie (which I did not care for at all). But I'm still a bit hesitant about the whole phenomenon of Rent. What made it so amazing that it revolutionized theater? Why are there so many Rent heads out there? Why does it speak to some people and not others?

(PS: These are all questions I know people ask about Spring Awakening, which is why I'm willing to accept those people who absolutely adore Rent, though I myself am not as appreciative.)

However, my opinions may be changing; I Netflixed the live stage version that was filmed before it closed on Broadway last year, and Ryan and I watched it on Wednesday night. It was much better seeing it up close like that and being able to properly hear the songs. In fact, I'm watching it again right now to hear the songs.

And I'll admit it, Ryan's right: the soundtrack is pretty good. I've had a myriad of those choruses stuck in my head all week.

(But the soundtrack's still not as good as Spring Awakening's.)



3 comments:

poloair2303 said...

It was a fun night. Glad you made it to dinner and got to experience the amazing Sammy's waitress.

Rent was... OK.

thesmallblondeone said...

Yes, dinner with everyone was fun.

PS- good job with all the insightful comments, OSF. :)

Ry said...

Hmm, now I want to watch Charlie Brown to see if I'll be thinking "but that's Mark from Rent!"

I'm in agreement that the stage production is miles better than the movie, and think that's true of other shows as well (namely Hairspray), but I know others would beg to differ (Brit and her thoughts on Grease).

I'll save my thoughts on Rent and Spring Awakening for another blog...