Thursday, April 1, 2010

Worst ever April Fool's

My laptop caught on fire. For no reason.


It was quite possibly the most ridiculous thing that has ever happened to me.


Thursday morning. Noon. I turned on my computer. I turned away while it began powering up. I noticed that the fans went on immediately, but nothing too uncommon. I came back a minute later to find the login screen. I clicked my name. Then my laptop started pouring out fine smoke from the left corner, just where the screen and base meet. I stared at it for about two seconds while I tried to comprehend what was happening, before I realized THERE WERE FLAMES UNDER THE SMOKE INSIDE MY LAPTOP. Then I started blowing on it as hard as I could, and after about four blows the flames were out and it was just smoke and burnt plastic. I was on the phone with HP within five minutes (and I will credit their fast customer service here), from whom I was told they would send a FedEx box for me to ship my laptop to them to fix. They didn't sound too alarmed THAT MY LAPTOP CAUGHT ON FIRE. 


All this took place on Thursday morning. On April Fool's Day. And as much as I wish I could say "April Fool's, suckers!" I can't, because it totally happened. For real.


Absolutely ridiculous.


So... although I have my little netbook that has faithfully waited in my closet for a moment such as this, it's just not the same as my brand new 500 gig hard drive, 4 gigs of RAM, amazing, brand new laptop that caught fire. I don't have Photoshop. I don't have InDesign. I barely even have itunes on this thing, so getting by the next month or so will be somewhat of a pain. And be forewarned, all the pictures I post from here on out will pretty much be edit-less unless I can hijack the OSF's mac. 


Please don't judge the pictures too harshly. I depend on Photoshop to make me look cool.

No comments: